02 May Garage sales: Tips & tricks to get the most out of it!
The garage sales season begins! Our expert shoppers have prepared a list of tips to make your experience easier and make the most of your shopping!
Tips & tricks
- Prepare a list of what you are looking for. It’s easy to forget what we really need during a garage sale!
- Keep in mind the regular price of the items you are looking for and the price you want to pay. Use your cell phone to check the prices on internet.
- Make sure you have enough space in your car for your purchases. If you are going far from your house, you wouldn’t want to have to do many round trips.
- When shopping for furniture, don’t forget to bring a measuring tape and have in mind the space that you have for this piece at home (and in your car!)
- Make sure that the item you’re buying is in good condition. Note the seller’s address and contact information for big purchases such as furniture.
- Make sure you have all the pieces before you leave with your purchase.
- Prepare a lunch or snacks and water as well.
What price to pay?
In general, garage sales are the best place for deals. Keep in mind that you should have a better price than if you were buying on a classifieds ads website. Here are the prices you should expect for some of the most popular items!
- Trikes – $5 to $15
- Kids bikes – $5 to $80 (depending on size and brand)
- Child carriers – 50% off regular price or more
- Rollerblades or skates – $5 to $25
- Skateboards – $5 to $15
- Scooters – $5 to $10
- High chair – $50 to $100
- Kids booster car seats – $10 to $15 (it is not recommended to buy used car seats for babies as you can’t verify if the car seat has not been in a car accident)
- Books – $1 to $2
- Games and puzzles – $1 to $5
- Furniture – 1/3 of the regular price
- Lamps – $10 to $20
To find out all the municipal garage sales dates, see our special section on allsales.ca